The IT Certification Resource Center

Featured Deal

Get CompTIA, Cisco, or Microsoft training courses free for a week.
Learn More ❯

CompTIA Assesses Moods and Attitudes of IT Workers

A CompTIA survey of more than 800 IT professionals and managers reveals that certification retains its luster and value, and that professional development is perceived as being vital to IT career satisfaction and success.

Moods and Tudes office mix and mingleIn early to mid-June, CompTIA polled 820 IT professionals, including 570 CompTIA certification holders and 250 other IT professionals contacted through a neutral third party. Among the certification holders, the primary credentials covered were the A+, Network+, Security+, and Server+ certifications.


(By no coincidence at all, these four also happen to be the most popular and sought-after of CompTIA’s 14 different credentials.)


The focus on this first round, in fact, is exclusively on the United States, with forays into Canada, Japan and the United Kingdom planned for future follow-ups. This comprises the basis for CompTIA’s 2017 IT Career Insights study, about which I’ll report further here.


Survey Highlights and Noteworthy Observations


First and foremost, CompTIA reports that job satisfaction for IT professionals is on the upswing. Nearly 8 in 10 IT workers (79 percent) report themselves either “very satisfied” or “mostly satisfied” with their jobs. Of that group, just over one-third (34 percent) report themselves as “very satisfied.”


While this situation could always improve further, this is a nice jump from 2015, when 73 percent reported themselves in one of these two categories, with 28 percent in the “very satisfied” group. Clearly, people are feeling better about working in IT than they did just a couple of years ago.


According to the survey, IT professionals share numerous “key traits.” CompTIA describes these as “having an aptitude for technology, passion for technology, desire for continued learning, and wanting to be challenged.” This accurately reflects the situation that most IT pros face when working in the field, particularly where learning and challenges are concerned, so this reflects a keen understanding of the fields in which they must labor.


IT professionals want more employer support, and could use that support, to help them execute their jobs more effectively and efficiently. They indicate a specific desire for more resources for professional development and career guidance.


Certainly, my own personal experience in working in and around IT certification since the mid-1990s informs me that there is indeed a strong appetite for professional and career development information and learning materials. IT workers are not generally the type to sit on their hands and daydream about retirement.


In asking IT pros about where they want their careers to go, over half (55 percent) claim a good understanding of their career path over the next 5 years. The other 45 percent indicate they could find value in obtaining support to help them develop a similar understanding.


Whether or not IT pros actually, actively belong to a professional society, alumni association, business or trade group, and so forth, the vast majority believe such involvement would benefit their IT careers. That's a potentially valuable insight for any IT workers who are feeling vaguely unfulfilled and would like to branch out.