Microsoft Certified Architect (MCA)
Related Resources: Books
This hybrid Certification is Offered By:
Santa Clarita, CA USA
Skill Level: Guru Status: Active
Low Cost: $7625 (shortest track)
Microsoft Certified Architect (MCA) is the highest level of Microsoft certification and by far the most rigorous and costly. Individuals who wish to become MCAs generally have 10 or more years of IT experience, and 5 or more years of specific architectural experience.
There are 4 tracks to choose from:
- MCA: Microsoft Messaging
- MCA: Microsoft SharePoint
- MCA: Microsoft SQL Server
- MCA: Directory Servoces.
There are several steps to achieving the MCA certification:
- You must already hold a valid Microsoft Certified Master (MCM) or Microsoft Certified Solutions Master (MCSM) credential for the associated technology.
- Submit an application and application fee ($125)
- If you are accepted into the program, you must create and submit a portfolio of documentation that includes your work history and a case study
- If your portfolio is accepted, the final step is to appear before a review board, where you will present the project you submitted in your portfolio, followed by an intensive Q&A session with the review board members. The review board exam fee is $7,500.
Architects with current MCA certifications are required to recertify within five years of achieving their original MCA certification. The MCA recertification process is an abbreviated version of the process for new MCA certification candidates. To recertify, a candidate must have a current MCA certification in the technology for which they wish to recertify. Recertification candidates submit a portfolio which is reviewed by the board. Candidates do not need to appear before the board, the review is done virtually.