Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
Related Resources: Books
This vendor-specific Certification is Offered By:
Santa Clarita, CA USA
Skill Level: Intermediate Status: Active
Low Cost: Not available
For individuals who wish to demonstrate expert knowledge and skills with Microsoft technology solutions such as System Center and Windows Server. MCSE was originally an acronym for Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, but in April 2012, that was replaced by this entirely new credential.
You must first pass the MCSA certification exams related to your choice MCSE track (which will earn you the MCSA credential). Then you must pass additional exams to earn the MCSE on your chosen track.
Currently available tracks include:
- MCSE: Server Infrastructure - requires the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 credential exams+ 2 additional server infrastructure exams
- MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure - requires the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 credential exams + 2 additional desktop infrastructure exams
- MCSE: Private Cloud - requires the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 credential exams + 2 additional private cloud exams
- MCSE: Data Platform - requires MCSA: SQL Server 2012 + 2 additional exams. This essentially takes the place of the old MCDBA.
- MCSE: Business Intelligence - requires MCSA: SQL Server 2012 exams + 2 additional exams: - Implementing Data Models and Reports plus Designing Business Intelligence Solutions.
-MCSE: Messaging - requires MCSA: Windows Server 2012 exams + 2 additional Exchange Server exams.
-MCSE: Communications - requires MCSA: Windows Server 2012 exams + 2 additional Lync Server exams.
-MCSE: SharePoint - requires MCSA: Windows Server 2012 exams + 2 additional SharePoint Server exams.
You must recertify every 3 years by passing a recertification exam. Initially, recertification requires passing one or two exams or earning the associated Masters certification. Microsoft is exploring other recertification options and will announce those options as appropriate.